KITSUMKALUM CONSULTATION, ENVIRONMENT, LANDS, AND REFERRALS
The Kitsumkalum Consultation, Environment, Lands, and Referrals Team is sending out newsletters to inform you about some projects and activities within the Territory. With the ongoing boom of projects in and around Kitsumkalum Territory, it is important for us to gather stories and identify what impacts (current and future) are being felt by community members,. We encourage you to get involved! Strong community engagement enables Kitsumkalum to bring a powerful voice to the table with these projects. Your voice counts!
PLEASE SHARE YOUR STORIES AND THOUGHTS!
We regularly conduct interviews to record community stories and opinions regarding regional development. Your stories and opinions support leadership in demonstrating Kitsumkalum’s “use and occupation” of the Territory, preserving Kitsumkalum lands, customs, and values, and protecting Kitsumkalum Aboriginal Title and Rights.
- You can get involved by telling us the stories about your family history, legends, and connection to lands within Kitsumkalum Territory.
- Interviews take one to three hours and can be broken up into sessions. We accommodate to your schedule!
- Interview results are private and confidential.
- If you or your family wishes to have their voice heard on the Ksi Lisims LNG or just share thoughts and stories in general, please reach out to Quinton Ball (located in Ecomomic Development building) at 250-635-5000 to schedule an interview.
WHAT DO WE DO?
The Consultation, Environment, Lands and Referrals Department reviews proposals for projects and activities within Kitsumkalum Territory, with a focus the technical and environmental aspects, to determine potential impacts to Kitsumkalum Aboriginal Title and Rights. We provide information and assist leadership in engaging with government and project proponents. To ensure that Kitsumkalum interests and concerns are addressed, we may request changes to project plans or mitigation of impacts. If neither is possible, Kitsumkalum will have to be accommodated for the impact. We work with leadership to ensure Kitsumkalum’s legal rights are protected and preserved, and ensure BC and Canada uphold their commitments to Indigenous Peoples.
PROPOSED KSI LISIMS FLOATING LIQUIFIED NATURAL GAS PROJECT
The Ksi Lisims LNG project is a major project currently proposed within the Territory. Ksi Lisms LNG is a joint venture between Nisga’a Nation, Rockies LNG and Western LNG LLC. They are proposing to develop a Floating Liquified Natural Gas (FLNG) facility on the north end of Pearse Island at Wil Milit, on Portland Canal (approximately 15 km west of Gingolx). The project has recently begun the BC Environmental Assessment (EA) Process.
Ksi Lisims LNG will include the following components:
- A floating LNG facility and shipping terminal. LNG carrier ships will travel to the North Coast region via Triple Island, and into Portland Canal. Construction materials and personnel are proposed to be transported both by marine transport (via Prince Rupert and/or via the LNG carrier route) and transported on land though Highway 113.
- A subsea feed gas pipeline will supply the facility. This is a separate project and will be constructed by another proponent with an independent EA certificate.
- A new transmission line from New Aiyansh to Gingolx, which will be constructed by another proponent.
- An additional major powerline to provide power to the project line.
- A subsea or overhead transmission line from Gingolx to the project.
Check out these links for current Ksi Lisims Project Information:
PROJECT LINK: HTTPS://WWW.KSILISIMSLNG.COM/PROJECT
ENVIRONMENTAL ASSESSMENT DOCUMENTS:
Contact our department directly by emailing email@example.com or by calling Quinton, Nicole, Alyson or Nicki at 250-635-5000. We are available to help answer questions.