KITSUMKALUM– After a grizzly bear was spotted in the area, Conservation officers are warning residents to take extra precautions.
Organic bins should be kept inside until the morning of pickup to ensure it’s not luring any wild animals into the community and bins should be collected and rinsed as soon as possible.
Be very aware of your surroundings when out, talk to your children about wildlife precautions and keep your animals safe inside and on a leash. NEVER allow your dog to chase after a grizzly bear, as it can come chasing back after it, leading it to you!
- Make noises as you go; talk out loud or play loud music!
- Do not wear headphones while out walking, stay alert!
- Never approach or feed a bear. No matter the distance, stay clear!
- Back away slowly, NEVER run.
- Manage fruit trees by picking ripe fruit! Take in any bird feeders!
- Keep your smokehouses clean and dispose of fish waste properly!
Report all wildlife-human interactions RIGHT AWAY!
BC Government’s Report all Poachers and Polluters:
#7277 on the TELUS Mobility Network
Kitsumkalum Fish & Wildlife Conservation:
Jim Webb 250-641-9798
Mandi Campbell 250-641-2023