The Lands Department has broad responsibilities relative to the management, conservation, and protection of Kitsumkalum Reserve Land in accordance with the department’s policies and procedures and the Kitsumkalum Land Code.
The Department provides various services including:
- Processing allotment applications and transfers;
- Processing licenses and permits;
- Additions to Reserve applications;
- Land Registration;
- Maintaining Land Records, maps, and Land Status reports.
Major projects currently being undertaken include:
- A Kitsumkalum Land Inventory (a comprehensive database of accurate lands information)
- Land Use and Community Development framework (defining processes and structures for guiding community development)
The next step of the department is to form a Lands Committee to support the important aspects of community land management.
Resources from the Department:
– Accountability Report (Coming Soon)
– Kitsumkalum Land Use Plan (new link coming soon)
If you are interested in the work of the Lands Department please reach out to Mag de Grace. There are several ways you can provide feedback, make recommendations, or join in with the activities.
In the spotlight…
- Georgian Island CBC Story (https://www.cbc.ca/news/indigenous/georgina-island-first-nation-land-code-1.5281769)
Documents and Resources
- Certified Land Code
- Individual agreement (Coming Soon)
- Let’s Talk Land Code brochure
- Land Code Video
- First Nations Land Management Resource Centre https://labrc.com/
- Resource Information Page Leading up to Kitsumkalum Land Code Vote
Land Code Development Presentation (Nov 2016) Robert Louie, Chairman Lands Advisory Board
Land Code Community Information Session (April 2018) Jason Campbell SeaBird Island FN
The historic significance of this land management initiative;
• The purpose of the Framework Agreement (FA), and the resulting implementation of community control over lands and resources; and
• Address some questions/concerns.
Overview of the following topics:
• Framework Agreement & Lands Advisory Board's Role
• Seabird Island's Experience