On-Call Position, Youth Worker
Northwest Inter-Nation Family and Community Services (NIFCS)
Building on Strengths
Keeping Children Safe and Connected to their Families & Traditions
If these statements resonate with you, please consider this opportunity to join the NIFCS team as a Youth Worker in Terrace, British Columbia.
Position Summary: Are you looking for a rewarding role in which you can make a difference in the lives of youths? The successful candidate will promote the personal, cultural, educational and social development of youth in the community. Further, you will help implement and supervise recreation activities and intervention programs.
Primary Responsibilities and Duties
▪ Engage with youths daily (art, outside play, computers, etc.).
▪ Follow weekly youth calendar for events.
▪ Actively participate in establishing programming that will focus on strength-based approaches to building resiliency and self-esteem.
▪ Lead and participate in youth program activities that occur on weekends.
▪ Collaborate on the planning and implementation of a variety of community events to promote the personal wellness of youth.
▪ Ensure the safety of youths and report any incidents promptly.
▪ Provide support, guidance and direction while promoting anti-bullying.
▪ Assist with creating activities for all youth.
▪ Follow policies, procedures and protocols including completion of related forms.
▪ Assist with event planning, as required.
▪ Assist youth in identifying individual plans and goals.
▪ Assist youth in learning more about and/or connecting with programming, cultural practices, and traditions.
▪ Ensure that youths are engaged and connected to the programming and supports offered. Assist youth in assessing outside services where applicable, working with the NIFCS Team.
▪ Keep current on all social concerns and trends, and as required attend professional development activities in order to remain informed regarding issues affecting youth.
▪ Actively assist in the ongoing development and review of program plans.
▪ Perform other duties within the scope of the position, as assigned.
▪ All employees of NIFCS are required to submit a Criminal Record Check with Vulnerable
Screening, comply with the Occupational Health and Safety Act (OHSA), its regulations and all
occupational health and safety policies and procedures.
▪ Pursuant to Section 41 of the BC Human Rights Code, preference may be given to applicants of
▪ Must be fully COVID vaccinated and remain in full compliance with all public health orders and NIFCS
policies throughout their employment.
Education / Work Experience
▪ Ability to contribute to planning and developing youth-based activities
▪ Ability to supervise youth in the community and offer an opportunity to interact together in a healthy
and safe way
▪ Strong communicational skills both verbal and writing
▪ Willingness to learn
▪ Ability to keep confidentiality
▪ Ability to work flexible hours including evening, weekends and holidays
▪ Clear Child Abuse Registry and Criminal Record Check
▪ Willing to submit to random drug testing
▪ Current First Aid and Non-Violent Crisis Intervention Certificates or willing to obtain
▪ Professional verbal, written and interpersonal skills
▪ Experience assisting at-risk youth in crisis
▪ Applicants must exercise a high standard of professionalism with sound judgment and also have the
ability to work independently and as part of a team
▪ Experience in coordinating and facilitating workshops and groups or willingness to learn
▪ Experience with Aboriginal culture and communities would be considered an asset
▪ Valid driver’s license
▪ Travel in this position is required.
▪ Must be willing to work flexible hours and/or weekends as required by the work schedule or as directed
▪ Attend cultural awareness training, among other training.
▪ Non-standard hours of work, adjusted schedule.
Compensation & Benefits
▪ You can expect a supportive work environment, a total compensation package that includes a competitive
wage, extended health and dental benefits.
▪ This is a Bargaining Unit position.
▪ An eligibility list may be established to fill permanent and/or temporary vacancies.
▪ Open until filled.
▪ We invite all interested parties to apply by emailing your cover letter and resume in the strictest confidence
to the Human Resources Department at email@example.com.
On-Call Position, Youth Worker