Effective Date: April 1, 2023
An outdoor fire can quickly turn into a high-risk activity if things get out of control. For this reason, the Kitsumkalum Emergency Management Department has set rules to ensure the safety and protection of the Kitsumkalum community.
Use common sense, and follow these rules when having an outdoor fire:
1. no outdoor fires are permitted during a fire ban.
2. do not leave the fire unsupervised at any time.
3. have water on hand adequate to contain the fire.
4. do not burn treated lumber or lumber, garbage, rubber, or animal remains.
5. ensure the fire is less than 6 ft (1.8 m) in diameter and less than 6 ft (1.8 m) high.
6. Build a guard around your fire and eliminate nearby flammable materials.
7. keep the fire at least 15 m (49ft) away from buildings and structures.
8. do not have a fire near shrubbery, or directly under any tree or overhanging branches.
9. No outdoor fire is permitted when the direction or intensity of the wind may cause the fire to become uncontrolled.
10. In the event of hot and dry conditions, Kitsumkalum Emergency Management may initiate a community-wide fire ban.
If it is determined that an outdoor fire does not comply with these guidelines please call 911 and Emergency Services will deal with the smoke report accordingly. Emergency crews may direct the fire to be extinguished (by the individual having the fire or by Emergency Services), under the authority of our Kitsumkalum Land Code.
KITSUMKALUM EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT